Saturday, December 22, 2012

Procrastination: A Severely Contagious Disease

Hello. My name is Dominique. (Hi, Dominique.) I've been suffering from procrastination for perhaps three years now. I have productivity that's horrendous at being productivity. I'm okay.

If no one understood the reference I've just listed above, it's a playoff of the first chapter from The Fault in our Stars by John Green. The original quote was said by the main, narrating character named Hazel (Hi, Hazel) and was speaking about cancer and the lungs she had that stunk at being lungs. Why is this relative to the main topic of my post? Because I've been procrastinating from writing this blog post by rereading this book.

Another symptom of procrastination I've been dealing with for the past almost-two-months-or-so is this wonderful game called Don't Starve. It's an indie game found on Steam. You play as a gentleman scientist named Wilson who is transferred into a demonic, alien world and must survive in order to get back home. I played it yesterday for nearly three hours straight instead of writing what I'm writing now.

And then there's the popular, rechargeable and incredibly sociable symptom which most call the phone. If you've never heard of this so-called contraption, it's a widespread device used to make calls, send messages, record videos, take pictures, catch up, and most of all - play games. My first hand choice of gaming on my phone is Tiny Tower. (If you don't know what Tiny Tower is, run. Run and never get involved in it.)

After that, we have the loyal Skype desktop application for Windows 8. And you know what it can do? Make video calls, share screens with friends, chat, send files, socialize, and who knows what else. Maybe it could bake me fresh pumpkin-cinnamon cookies for me on command. On it, there are these things called sociable humans that you can make contact with. It's rather useful and loots time like a robber in a bank.

Plus you've got the almighty sketchbook! With the sketchbook, you can draw pictures and sketches (such a creative name, the sketchbook has!) and color and doodle. How fun. Very, very fun, and if you suffer from perfectionism (which I will discuss in another blog post), you may have symptoms that come with this symptom. This includes wrist pains, gradually decreasing self esteem, and uncontrollable screeching.

Then, of course, who could forget Pinterest? Pinterest is like Tumblr (shhhh)...but not. You can re-pin pictures to bulletin boards on your profile page and scroll indefinitely on different category pages. Most link the sources where they get the pictures, and sometimes you can learn from the source (ex. Like a braid you re-pinned? There could be a link to a tutorial on how to make it).

And all of this procrastination leads up to the major point - my disease has kept me from writing about my NaNoWriMo experience from last month. I won at about 51,050 words.

-Dominique

No comments:

Post a Comment