Monday, February 25, 2013

"The Reichenbach Fall" - BBC Sherlock (My Theory!)

****SPOILERS! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED THE BBC TV SERIES "BBC SHERLOCK" - THE REICHENBACH FALL!****

Now that we have that over with, I want to theorize. I will theorize and theorize and theorize in this entire blog post because British television is ruining me and I will not go down without a fight. BBC Sherlock has made me nuts, really nuts, and I cannot wait until Season 3. This post is my theory on how Mr. Sherlock Holmes survived his fall off the building after meeting with James Moriarty, and why Dr. John Watson was inclined to believe it. I'm going right to theorizing, so if you'd like to read and do not mind spoilers and have not watched the episode, go to the Baker Street Wiki (located here) to learn more about the episode.

First of all, in the near beginning of the episode, Moriarty visits Sherlock Holmes at 221B Baker Street and carves the letters "IOU" into an apple and gives it to him. Although I have no theories on what IOU stands for or what it means, I do know it has relation to the rest of the episode. First, it shows up on an apple that has a knife sticking through the bottom. Next, it shows up on a building. Last, it shows up as graffiti on a wall, but it has wings. The knife stabbing the apple symbolizes death. So, putting together all the meanings, it means "KILLED ON A BUILDING BUT HAS WINGS." Sherlock was pushed and "killed" on a building (when he fell) but he "has wings," meaning he flew away from his fate and did not die.

Secondly, Sherlock takes a rubber squash ball and puts it in his pocket somewhere in the episode/series. Some people on a Sherlock fan-site mentioned that you can put a squash ball under your armpit and essentially stop your pulse. Sherlock could have later put the squash ball under his armpit and stopped his pulse so John couldn't feel it when he approached him.

Thirdly, Sherlock asks Molly for help. I have a firm belief that she and some co-workers cushioned his fall. The people visible before Sherlock fell could have been potential co-workers. Molly would have kept him from falling to his death, put on some fake blood, then took the cushion away before John could come over. John was also hit by a biker while he was attempting to come over, which could have been scheduled by Molly. Plus, Molly works at a morgue. Makes it trillions of times easier to help fake it because she's got experience.

Fourth, Sherlock positions John right in front of the building that keeps him from seeing Sherlock hit the ground. Sherlock didn't want John to know he had faked his death to protect him...yeah, that's probably more important than I explained, but it's a nice thought.

Fifth, Moriarty kills himself and is no longer visible to anyone watching because he is now sprawled on the rooftop. This makes it ten times easier for Sherlock to convince John that he's a fraud, a fake, a sham. He tells John that Moriarty was made up and hired, and John believes him because Sherlock has never lied to him and Moriarty isn't there. Just another nice thought.

Sixth, Sherlock is hiding his phone behind his back when talking to Moriarty. Why? Why does he do that? Sherlock is smart, he doesn't do anything without reason. So I am theorizing that he was recording all the important parts of the conversation. When Moriarty kills himself, he calls John and talks to him, saying goodbye and "leaving a note" for himself. He then hangs up, throws the phone behind him, then plummets from the roof. This is important. His phone would have been crushed when he fell, so maybe he wanted to keep the phone safe because of the data on it.

Okay. That's it. I'm dying inside. Excuse me while I drown in my own self pity, drench myself in my own awe, and swim in my never ending feels.

SH

No comments:

Post a Comment